Degrees and Certifications:
Dr. Lorie D. Hackett, Superintendent
Welcome to the 2018-19 school year!
It is with great pride that I welcome you back to school for the beginning of an exciting new year. Whether you have a student entering Kindergarten and are experiencing our district for the first time or your child is entering his/her senior year, we welcome you. Our district’s mission is to serve the diverse community by providing educational opportunities designed to challenge students to strive for professional excellence and responsible citizenship; therefore, our entire staff will support your children both socially and emotionally and will challenge them academically.
Our district’s 2018-19 goals are to:
- Promote and maintain a positive environment focusing on a shared vision of unity based on trusting, supportive relationships.
- Continue to develop and enhance the safety and security of the overall school district environment to support teaching and learning.
- Increase academic growth and achievement of all students.
- Encourage personalization of professional growth activities and sharing of information with colleagues to increase student achievement and growth.
The following represent just a sampling of the new and exciting initiatives and changes for the 2018-19 school year.
- The district will continue the implementation of a new Language Arts program in grades 1, 2, and 3 and in the High School. There have also been several new courses added at the High School focusing on technology and increasing Advanced Placement course offerings.
- Additionally, we are proud to continue our QUEST 21 initiative! QUEST, Questioning and Understanding by Engaging Students through Technology, is our district’s one-to-one technology initiative. Our goal is to give each student access to a Chromebook by the year 2021. This year the focus will be on the High School where we will implement the Freshman 1:1 Chromebook Pilot, giving each Freshman student a Chromebook for use in the classroom and at home. We will be continuing to provide classrooms in the other buildings with Chromebook Carts for student use in the classroom.
- Further, we are excited to introduce Mrs. Cora Snyder as the new Principal at Steckel Elementary. Welcome Mrs. Snyder.
- Finally, the district is involved in a district-wide feasibility study to review all of our district facilities. We have completed renovations to the Middle School and are planning renovations at the High School beginning next Spring. We are also investigating the option of adding full-day Kindergarten for our students, which would require the construction of a new Elementary school to replace Gockley Elementary.
As always, the staff and students at Whitehall-Coplay School District are second to none. We strive to develop and foster meaningful relationships with our students, helping them to strive for excellence in Athletics, the Arts, and Academics.
I wish you all a successful year!