Degrees and Certifications:
Dr. Lorie D. Hackett, Superintendent
Welcome to the 2019-2020 school year!
It is with great pride that I welcome you back to school for the beginning of an exciting new year. Whether you have a student entering kindergarten and are experiencing our district for the first time or your child is entering his/her senior year, we welcome you. Our district’s mission is to serve the diverse community by providing educational opportunities designed to challenge students to strive for professional excellence and responsible citizenship; therefore, our entire staff will support your children both socially and emotionally and will challenge them academically.
Our district’s 2019-2020 goals are to:
- Promote and maintain a positive environment focusing on a shared vision of unity based on trusting, supportive relationships.
- Continue to develop and enhance the safety and security of the overall school district environment to support teaching and learning.
- Increase academic growth and achievement of all students.
- Encourage continuous professional growth activities and sharing of information with colleagues to increase student achievement and growth creating deeper learning in schools.
The following represent just a sampling of the new and exciting initiatives and changes for the 2019-2020 school year.
- We are proud to announce the beginning of full-day kindergarten classes at Gockley Elementary. Full-day kindergarten helps make sure that students build the strong base of learning they will need to succeed throughout school and life. Children who attend full-day kindergarten do not only show better academic outcomes but also more self-confidence and are better at interacting with others. Therefore, a typical school day will include opportunities for purposeful play and recess in addition to foundational reading and math skills as well as an introduction to grade-appropriate social studies and science content. Further, students will participate in the encore subjects of music, art, physical education, and library as well as explore STEM through a class called Discovery. Parents, teachers, administrators, the school board, and community are very excited about this initiative and opportunity for our youngest students.
- The district has redesigned and will implement a continuum of technology classes with the major focus on STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) from the implementation of hands on STEM activities and coding at the elementary levels through computer programming, design, and introduction to engineering and robotics at the middle and high school levels.
- Additionally, we are proud to continue our QUEST 21 initiative! QUEST, Questioning and Understanding by Engaging Students through Technology, is our district’s one-to-one technology initiative. Our goal is to give each student access to a Chromebook by the year 2021. This year the focus will be on the high school where we will implement a 1:1 Chromebook initiative for all students for use in the classroom and at home. We will implement a 1:1 initiative at the middle school providing each student with a Chromebook to use in school. We will be continuing to provide the elementary schools with Chromebook carts for student use in the classroom.
- Further, we are excited to introduce Mrs. Angela Friebolin as the new principal at the Whitehall-Coplay Middle School and Mr. Joshua Thatcher as the new assistant principal at the Middle School. Welcome Mrs. Friebolin and Mr. Thatcher!
- Finally, the district is involved in a district-wide feasibility study to review all of our district facilities. We have completed renovations to the middle school and a portion of the high school roof. We will continue with renovations at the high school beginning next spring. We have added portable classrooms to Gockley Elementary to implement full-day kindergarten this school year and have plans to construct a new K-1 elementary school projected to open in 2022.The turf at Zephyr Stadium was replaced and new weight room equipment and upgrades were made to the athletic field house.
As always, the staff and students at Whitehall-Coplay School District are second to none. We strive to develop and foster meaningful relationships with our students, helping them to strive for excellence in Athletics, the Arts, and Academics.
We are “Zephyr Tough.”
I wish you all a successful school year!
The Superintendent has met the Performance Standards for the 2019-20 school year