Parent Assistance

  • Where do you turn when your child needs help? Whether your little one is having trouble with reading or your whole family is dealing with a health or financial crisis, there is someone who can help or who can guide you to the resources you need. The Steckel Elementary School is a great first place to start. Community organizations, the YMCA, churches, temples, synagogues often can be lifesavers as well. Here's a start on where to look for different types of help:
    Tutors Make a Difference
    Kids are learning more today than ever before, and sometimes children have trouble keeping up. Yet it is vital that they get caught up. Whether it is reading, writing, math, science, or social studies, there are resources available to tutor children who need help-and to help their parents assist them. Talk to your child's teacher, Mrs. Bisignani, or Mr. Noack to discover what you can do at home to support your child, and find out what programs are available. And then make sure to follow up. Your child's future success can depend on his or her school success, so even if the tutoring or extra help sessions are at an inconvenient time, attending and participating is worth it in so many ways.
    Mentors and Big Brothers/Sisters
    Countless people are devoted to helping other people's children succeed in tough times. They understand the pressures many families are under these days and want to use their time and energy to ease the burden. Ask your Mrs. Bisignani or Mr. Noack for more information. These people want to help and they can make a world of difference in your child's life.
    Caring About Health
    Children need to be able to go to the doctor's office both when they're ill or injured and to receive check-ups and preventive care. Uninsured kids often are forced to go without care because their families can't afford it. Fortunately, there is free or low-cost health insurance available for eligible children nationwide. The school nurse, Mrs. Dorner, or guidance counselors, Mrs. Bisignani have all the information you need. You can also find out details about the eligibility requirements in PA by visiting the US Dept of Health and Human Services Web site at: 

Working to Overcome

  • Maybe your family is undergoing some serious changes, like a move, a divorce, a financial crisis, or a serious illness or death. Perhaps your child is being bullied, or is bullying others. Maybe your child is having difficulty concentrating in the classroom or when doing homework, or seems to be withdrawn. Or perhaps you just sense that something is wrong. Turn to your school guidance department. They confidentially work with students and families, teachers, principals, and others to help children cope better and become more emotionally healthy.

    There is such a thing as a free lunch:

    When families find themselves in hard times, financially, their children don't have to worry about going hungry during the school day. Schools offer free and reduced-priced lunches for children whose family incomes are below a certain level. And, of course, the Dept of Health and Human Services Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program (welfare) can make all the difference when things look their bleakest. Ask your child's school counselor or the school secretaries (Mrs. Brensinger or Mrs. Frankenfield) for information and assistance signing your child up.

    All families face challenges in one form or another, and finding available resources can help ease the burden. Don't be afraid or ashamed to approach your child's school staff to assist you when times get tough. It will benefit both you and your children

    Comments (-1)